5 Navratri Fasting Tips to keep 'Upvas-Fatigue' at Bay
Navratri is the time of the year to purify mind, body & soul. Navratri is marked with the outset of changing season which affects our physical, mental & spiritual health. Observing a fast during this time helps to balance energy & rejuvenate. Follow these simple tips to eat healthy during the Navratri season.
1. Small Portions: Take small & frequent meals to boost your metabolism.
2. Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of fluids to flush out toxins and rejuvenate yourself. It also helps restore the electrolyte imbalance which occurs due to summer season. Include liquids in your diet like buttermilk, shikanji, coconut water, milk shakes etc.
3. Eat a balanced diet: Fasting doesn’t mean you have to starve and deprive yourself of essential nutrients. Kuttu provides you with crucial iron apart from many other minerals and protein. Include Sabudana, Makhana, Arbi, Sweet Potatoes, Rajgeera etc. in your diet as these are loaded with essential nutrients, minerals & vitamins.
Also read 'Power Snacks to Keep You Energetic during Navratri Fast
4. Consume seasonal fruits: Load up on fresh fruits and vegetables to get a steady supply of vitamins that will keep you energized throughout the day.
5. Keep sweet cravings at bay: Satisfy your sweet cravings with healthy recipes like apple kheer, sweet potato halwa, lauki kheer, rajgeera halwa & fruit smoothies.
Navratri is a time when nature is transforming, letting go the old to embrace change. Celebrate this period of detox to emerge stronger, refreshed, revitalized.
(Dr Dharti Shah is a Nutritionist. She is currently working as Chief Dietician, at Sahara Hospital, Lucknow)